Monday, January 20, 2014

Sometimes I Kill Myself Part 2

“This just in. The body of a young man thought to be in his early to mid-twenties was discovered in a park in Hermitage early this morning. The semi nude man, yet to be identified, is thought to have gone there for a sexual encounter. Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the Hermitage police department or by calling the anonymous tip hotline 5-1-1.

***

I turned off the car radio and drove the rest of the way to Hermitage in silence. I wanted to consider carefully now the implications of what I had started. What were the police up to? What evidence made them think this anything other than a possible robbery? Sure, the man’s pants were down, but he was wearing underwear. His attacker could have made him drop trou to allow more getaway time. What made the police suspect a tryst with a not happy ending?
Suddenly, offering my bits of insight didn’t seem like such a good idea. I never expected to be party to a sex crime. Was I to be considered a possible suspect? After all, is a gay man with no attachments to anyone, sexual or even romantic, who comes forward to say he knows something about the death of a man found seminude in a park to be presumed innocent? I pulled into a gas station. The gas gauge showed the tank was down barely a quarter, but I needed time to think this through and something to do while I did so.
If I were to turn back, the detective only has my last name. Did the police have time to trace my phone? Do police stations have caller I.D.? If the police do know where I live and I don’t show up do I look guilty or just capricious? Oh, what to do? What to do? I had a dream was all. There have been several dreams like this one involving the dead body of a stranger I later read about in the newspaper. Why did I choose this particular dream to share with the authorities? What possessed me? Why am I agonizing over this?
I have done nothing wrong. I saw something in a dream, I think. I noticed something in a newspaper photograph I thought was being overlooked. I wanted to bring attention to a detail in the photo, not to myself in anyway. Certainly I didn’t intend to be attached to a sex crime investigation. I heard about things like this happening before. An innocent bystander steps forward intending to help, but his story gets twisted around and he ends up being arrested for the crime. Poor Buster! If I go to jail, who will take care of him?





No comments:

Post a Comment