Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Lucid Rescue 3

“What do you want to know about flying?”
“Can I fly?”
“Of course you can. Anyone can, although flying is more difficult for humans.”
“Why?”
“Well, have you tried to fly, Daphne?”
“No. I’m too scared of falling.”
“See what I mean? Humans are afraid. They want to get away from something or some one so fear shackles them to the ground.”
“I want to get away.”
“Where do you want to get away to?”
“I don’t care, just away from where I am.”
“In that case, my dear, you’ll have to depend on your feet.”
“Why can’t I fly away?”
“If all you want to do is get away, you have to walk. It’s a rule. You could run, I suppose, but I think you would tire quickly.”
“But why can’t I fly? Wouldn't flying be quicker and easier?”
“Of course if you had somewhere specific to go. Otherwise, it’s the foot trail for you. People do call what you want to do running away. Tell me why you want to run away from home.”
“I can’t.”
“Daphne, I realize asking a woman’s age is considered rude, but I’m curious. How old are you?”
“I’m fifteen.”
“Fifteen? I thought you’re a young woman of twenty or twenty-one.”
“Mother says I matured early. Otherwise she doesn't speak to me much.”
“Did you argue with your mother?”
“No. No argument. No fight. Nothing. She just stopped having anything to do with me. My mother hates me.” Daphne began to weep. The dragon waited patiently for the tears to stop.
“Is your mother pretty like you?”
“I think she’s prettier. She showed me photographs of herself when she was my age. We’re practically twins. I used to love when we were matching outfits. Mother and I used to spend wonderful Saturdays together going out to lunch and shopping. Sometimes we took in a movie.” Daphne sighed heavily and blotted her eyes with her sleeve. “All that seems so long ago.”
“Why did your outings with your mother stop? Did you want to do those things with girlfriends instead?”
“No, not at all. None of this was my fault. Listen, I don’t want to talk about this anymore. You’re supposed to be telling me how wonderful flying is.
“What does your father say about the change in how you get along with your mother?”
“He says all teenage girls experience problems with their mothers. He says a natural rivalry occurs when the little girl starts looking more womanly, if you know what I mean.”
“He thinks your mother is jealous of you? You said the two of you look alike. I assume her figure is as womanly as you say as your own. Why would she be jealous of you?”
“I’m cold and want to go back inside. If you don’t want to tell me about flying,  fine. Don’t tell me, but I want to leave now.”
“Do you want me to take you home?”
“No. Thank you, but no.”
“How will you get into your room?”
“Like you said, I’ll walk.”
“Goodnight, Daphne.”
“Good-bye, Dragon.”
“Will we see each other tomorrow night?”
“Sorry. I’ll be busy. Tomorrow night is date night.”
“You have a boyfriend, Daphne?”
“No boyfriend, just my dad. He’s taking me out to dinner. He likes to call it our date night.”
“Nice that he takes you and your mother out to a restaurant.”
“Mother doesn’t come with us. Date night is for daddies and daughters only. It’s like a club. Other girls will be there with their dads.”
“Sounds like fun.”
“You’d think so, wouldn’t you? Well, good-bye.”

No comments:

Post a Comment