Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Shades In A Silver Bowl, Part 2

     Curiosity overcame fear by the time the moon rose full again. Robban once again filled the silver bowl with fresh spring water which he placed in the center of a circle of candles on the floor. He asked the goddess Hecate to bless him with another vision.
     He sat cross-legged as he stared into the water. Within minutes the water stirred. The milky swirl formed a vortex which expanded from the bowl's center to the side before the water turned clear again. Only the old woman from the the previous vision appeared this time.
     'Robban. Your body grows weaker each day you are gone.'
     'What do you mean? Look at me. I am healthy. You are familiar to me and yet a stranger. I don't recall giving you my name.'
     'Your transition into your other world erased your memory. I am called Brigitta. I helped your mother several times. You spied on me from behind the draperies once. You asked me to teach you the ways of the cunning folk. Your mother did not disapprove, but we kept your lessons secret from your father.'
     'But I don't leave in your world. I live here.'
     'I think you used magick. Two months ago you went to sleep without waking again. People are worried you are dying.'
     'Like I said, I am in perfect healthy where I am.'
     'If you body here dies, your life where you are will most likely end also. You must come back. At least for a while.'
     'I belong here. I live here. Your world is foreign to me. So are you truth be told.'
     'The transition made you forget, but you didn't forget everything. You still scry. I taught you.'
     'You're wrong, Brigitta.'
     'If what you say is true, tell me how you learned how to scry.'
     Robban paused to try to think of an answer. In truth he couldn't explain. 'Scry? I'm unfamiliar with your word. I'm looking, nothing more.'
     'Why would you want to scry if not to keep in touch with your real life?'
     'I'm curious about the old ways. Like I told you before, I don't understand any of this.' Robban stood, but this time he made sure he didn't disturb the bowl. 'I must go.'
     'No, Robban. You must come. You must find your way back here. Return to the body you left here. Save yourself. You crossed once. Come back and later you can cross again if you must.'
     'You're not real. You are a fantasy. This ends now.'
     Robban stooped to pick up the candles. In rapid succession he hurled them into the water. Smoke rose from the bowl.
     A woman's chilling scream buckled his knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment