Thursday, January 14, 2016

Upriver Transport, Part Two

     'Look, Daddy, we're sailing into the sky!' the boy cheered as he pointed to the reflection of the scattered white fluffy clouds on the river.
     'Right, son. Did we board a spaceship by mistake?'
     'Maybe,' the boy replied and then added, 'Nah. We're still on a boat.'
     'I dunno, son. Look over on the riverbank. Are those people or space aliens, do you think?'
     I couldn't help but overhear the father-son exchange, or to follow that man's gaze to a gathering of--. I couldn't be sure, but I noticed the boy maneuvered himself between his dad and the rail so that he now stood between the man's arms.
     'Want to go below and get something to drink, buddy?'
     'Sure, Dad.'
     I watched them walk away with a longing to go with them. I don't know why people always act like what you can't see can't see you. Some kind of caveman carry-over, I suppose. I maintained my position at the rail and turned my attention back to the crowd on land. But wait- what the hell!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment