Monday, November 4, 2013

Jokers And One-Eyed Jacks Chapter 11

[To be honest, I'm considering cutting this chapter. Tell me what you think.]


“Do you have your list, Sister Woman?” Charles asked.
“I have my list in my purse. I’m ready when you are,” Ursula replied. “Gigi? Honey are you ready? Charles wants to go now,” she called to her friend who had gone upstairs to shower and change clothes.
“I’m coming. I’m just putting on some lipstick. I’ll be right there,” Gigi shouted.
“Where do we need to go first?” Charles inquired.
“The produce market, of course. I want to get the green tomatoes, garlic, and butter first. Then we can go to the fish mongers for the amberjack. I want to get that from Sammy.”
“He’s sweet on you and always weighs your fish a little light,” Gigi teased as she descended the stairs.
“He has the freshest fish!” Ursula insisted. “When fish is fresh it doesn’t weigh as much as when it’s a day or two old.”
“Who the hell told you that story?” Charles laughed.
“Sam did and he should know,” Ursula stated defensively. “Well, it’s true isn’t it?”
Charles and Gigi just looked at each other and rolled their eyes. “Don’t start me to lying,” was Gigi’s only comment. “So we’re going to Sammy’s.”
“Yes, we’re going to Sammy’s after the produce market. Now are we going to stand here all day? Those boys will be here soon. They’re going to expect us to have something for them to eat, so we best be making some tracks, y’all,” Ursula instructed. “Charles, did you call us a cab?”
“No, I thought we could walk and get some exercise. We can bring a cab home since we’ll have fresh fish, but it isn’t that far.”
“Gigi, do you feel like a walk?” Ursula asked with the hope she’d say no.
“Sure, why not. It will do us good; help release some of this stress we’re feeling.”
“If you’re sure, little Sister.”
“Let’s go then. Talking about food is making me hungry,” Charles said as he hooked arms with each lady.
“Fine. Since ya’ll want to walk, we’ll walk. I would’ve paid for the taxi,” Ursula pouted.
“Thank you, Ursula. We’ll take one on the way back,” Charles replied.

♠♥♦♣

At Sammy’s the trio greeted the man with the broad smile behind the counter. “Ah, it’s the fair Ursula and the lovely Gigi!” Sammy sang out. “Hello, Charles. What could I get for you today?’
:Hello, Sammy. Gigi and I are making luncheon today for a new friend of ours and my nephew. I’d like four amberjack fillets, boneless and not too thin, please.”
“Fresh caught this morning, Ursula. I’ll cut boneless fillets for you right now.”
“While you’re at it, Sammy, I would also take four amberjack fillets, boneless of course, please,” Charles added. Whispering directly into Ursula’s ear, “Now we’ll see who gets the nicest order.”
In no time at all Sammy presented the two packages of fish on top of the counter. “Here you are folks. Two pounds each of amberjack fillets.” As Charles reached for the larger appearing of the two, Sammy playfully smacked his hand. “That one’s Ursula’s. Here’s yours, Charles.”
“Sammy, would you be so kind as to put both orders on my bill?”
“Anything for you, dear lady. Anything else for your folks today?”
“I almost forgot! Sammy, I need a pound of crabmeat. Charles?”
“Ursula?”
“Do you need a pound of crabmeat, too?”
“Ah, no, not today. Thank you.”
When the order was completed, Sammy came around the counter to hand Ursula her purchases. “I put a few oysters on the half shell inside for you, too, Ursula. No charge. I figured you might want some kind of appetizers for your luncheon.” Sammy was smiling bashfully and his cheeks had turned shrimp pink.
Ursula couldn’t resist pinching one of those cheeks as she said, “Thank you, Sammy. You are always so considerate. I really appreciate it.”
Charles reached for his bag from the counter. “Yes, thank you, Sammy. We appreciate your fine service. Best seafood in New Orleans we always say,” he said brightly in an attempt to conceal his disdain for Sammy’s overt flirting with Ursula.
Gigi smiled, and good-bye in a way that sounded a lot like call me tonight as the three of them left the shop.
Once outside Ursula double-checked her purchases against her list. “Oh my God, y’all. You’re going to want to kill me. I forgot to buy butter. We’re going to have to go back to the market.”
“Not a problem, Sister Woman, but rather than go back, there’s another very nice market just up the street here. You could buy your butter there. It might be easier to find a cab from there too,” Charles suggested.
‘All right. Let’s to that.”
They hadn’t walked very far when Ursula realized they were headed for the house on Ursuline that she doesn’t like. She was just about to suggest a detour when she spotted the yellow police tape and police officer directing traffic away from that corner.
“Look at that, will you? I wonder what’s happened.” Gigi was the first to comment.
“I don’t mind going around. I have never like this corner anyhow, “ Ursula replied.
“Let’s see what we can find out,” Charles suggested. “We have to keep going in this general direction anyway.”
As they got closer, Ursula spotted Sebastian and CJ talking with another police officer. “Well, how do you like that? Our luncheon guests are over there in the thick of things. Now we must go over and find out what happened,” 
Charles was almost gleeful. Gigi was distracted by all the handsome policemen that she needed to be told twice about their change of course.
“CJ! Sebastian! Over here,” Ursula shouted and waved from the public side of the yellow tape. 
The two young men looked over and waved back. CJ left Sebastian with the officer to greet his aunt. “What a surprise seeing you over here, Aunt. What’s goin’ on?”
“I might ask you that same question, CJ. We’ve been shopping for our luncheon and just about to head for home. What’s going on here? Why the barricades and so many police?”
“An old woman was found dead over there. Apparently she had climbed or tried to climb up that balcony over there and fell to her death. The police found pieces of her clothing, if you can call it that, caught in the wrought iron up there.”
“Why are earth would anyone try a stunt like that? Especially an old woman?” Gigi asked. Then added, “Poor old thing must not have been in her right mind.”
“We arrived before the body had been taken away so we got a look at her. Get this, ya’ll, Sebastian knew her!”
“Sebastian knew an old homeless woman?” Ursula was incredulous. 
“He didn’t know her know her, but he had met her. When he went walking toward his home after leaving us at the Two Sisters, he said this old gypsy came running up and grabbed him. She gave him a warning of some sort about the Devil coming for him, or something like that. Then she pressed a charm into his hand and ran off.”
“How bizarre!” was all Gigi could say.
“Does he still have that charm?” Ursula wanted to know.
“No. He showed it to me after we left the morgue —”
“You guys visited Suzette? What did Sebastian think?” Ursula asked urgently.
“One thing at a time, please, Aunt. I’ll tell you about that in a minute. Anyway, he pulled the thing out of his pocket to show me. It was the typical feather and string sort of thing you find down here, you know. What was different about this one, though, was that there was a miniature ace of spades folded up inside of it. I thought that was kind of strange.”
“You saw it, CJ? You’re sure it was the ace of spades?” Ursula was starting to tremble.
“Sure I saw it.”
“Does Sebastian still have it?” Ursula demanded.
“That’s where it gets really weird, Aunt. After he showed it to me, he dropped it on the ground and left it. He told me he didn’t think he needed such a thing. We got in my car and drove off. I happened to look in the rear view mirror while we stopped at the traffic light and saw that a sink hole had opened up. A hole a little bigger than my car opened. We missed being swallowed by mere seconds, Aunt! I’ve never witnessed anything like it, here or overseas. That’s what Sebastian is talking about to that  police detective. The guy is also a friend of Sebastian’s. Ray Coulter, I think he said his name is. That guy sure gets around, I tell you.”
“I’m speechless, CJ. I can’t imagine anything like that happening. At least you had already driven away. How’s Sebastian doing?”
“He’s amazing, He takes shit in stride and never bats an eye. Want to know the reason he tossed that charm away when he did?” Not waiting for an answer CJ continued. He said, and I swear this is God’s honest truth, he said his mother told him to put that thing down because he didn’t know where it had been.”
“His mother? Is she here?” Gigi asked as she scanned the crowd trying to guess who she might be.
“No, Gigi. His mother isn’t here. She passed on nearly eight years ago.”
Gigi started to swoon. “CJ, catch Gigi before she hits the pavement and we have another dead old woman here.”
Gigi immediately straightened up. “Who’s an old woman? I’ll remind you, Ursula, I’m younger than you.”
Ursula smiled. “Of course you are, Gigi, but you missed your chance to collapse into my nephews well-muscled arms.”
“Oh you! You ruin everything!” Gigi scowled.
Ursula turned her attention back to Sebastian. “I knew there was something special about that young man when I first laid eyes on him. I have every confidence he’s going to find out who killed Suzette and why.”
As Sebastian approached Ursula and CJ he laughed, “Okay, I’m back. Time to stop talking about me!”
“Why, Sebastian, why on earth would you think we were talking about you?” Ursula denied.
One glance at CJ’s unusually rosy cheeks and pulled in lips told Sebastian he was right even though he only meant it as a joke. “Because you were. Just look at your nephew, Ursula. That man couldn’t tell a lie to save himself. No matter. I like a man I can trust. Now about that lunch —.’
“You are in for a real treat. We have all our ingredients and heading home now to pull them all together,” Ursula interjected. “You boys must have quite an appetite by now.”
Sebastian lower his gaze to meet Ursula’s eyes. “Would you mind very much if we didn’t have lunch today, Ursula? A couple things have come up that I need to tend to.”
“But, Sebastian, I’ve been planning and shopping and looking forward to cooking something real nice for you. Are you sure you can’t come for just a little while, long enough to eat something. Gigi will be so disappointed.”
“Anything I can help you with, Sebastian/” CJ offered. “My car and I are at your complete disposal, you know.”
“Thanks, CJ, but not this time.” Then turning his attention back to Ursula, “Would whatever you planned to fix for lunch be just as good for dinner, Ursula?”
“Well, I suppose so. At least all this fine food wouldn’t end up going to waste,” Ursula agreed, pouting, but nonetheless agreed.
“Fine. Then what if I come to you, say, half past six or so. We’ll enjoy your wonderful home cooked meal. How’s that?”
“CJ, does that work in your schedule?” his aunt inquired.
“Sure thing. Sebastian, we’ll see you at six-thirty. Can I drop you anywhere now?”
“No, thanks, CJ. I’ll see you both later.” He took Ursula’s hands in his and said, “I hope you know I wouldn’t hurt you or disappoint you for the world. Thank you for being so understanding.” He then sealed the deal by kissing her lightly on the cheek.
“All right then, Mr. Smooth. I’ll expect you at my home at six-thirty sharp.”
Sebastian turned to leave, “I’ll be there. May I bring anything?” He asked over his shoulder as he continued walking away.
“Just yourself and an appetite!” Ursula replied. Then you turned to her nephew who stood there beaming after Sebastian. “Honey, you’re going to have to be on your A-game with that one. Sometimes I do wish I’d been born a man.’
“Lucky for me you weren’t.”




No comments:

Post a Comment