Friday, November 1, 2013

Shades And Shadows In The Looking Glass

     On Samhain it is possible to look into other worlds. Visit with ancestors and family members who have passed on. Past and future meld into the present. I sat last night in my room in front of a full length mirror with only a single candle for light. I made myself comfortable sitting upright, arms relaxed with hands palms up resting on my thighs, feet flat on the floor as I would for any meditation and waited.
     Before long, the room reflected in the mirror was filled by a rolling fog that looked like clouds blowing through. My image disappeared. When the fog lifted enough to see anything in the mirror again, someone else was sitting in my place. A dear friend who passed at the end of May told me he misses me and his family, but he is happy where he is. As my maternal grandparents breezed in and out they smiled and waved at me. The fog rolled dense again.
     This time when it lifted I witnessed a scene of a young woman with a male companion browsing an antique store. "Look! They have old books made with paper!" she exclaimed. The young man sighed and asked what she would want with those dusty things. "I'd read them," she replied. She picked one up saying it looked intriguing and announced she would buy it. It was my first novella, The Dashing Mister R. The fog boiled up until it filled the reflected room again.
     When next the fog cleared, light was dancing on water as the sun does on the ocean in Summer. I was looking up at it as I rose to the surface. As I broke through the surface, both my mirror image and myself began coughing as though I had swallowed some of the water. I continued coughing until I had to actually spit out the water. The mirror changed back. Now it reflected only the dim images of my room. I coughed up a little more water. I felt reborn. I went to bed and dreamed a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment