Saturday, May 18, 2013

Introducing The Writer As A Medium

     One of my favorite radio personalities as a kid was Paul Harvey. His famous tag line "And now you know the rest of the story" left an enduring impression on me. Investigating the other side of a story has often led to me consider the so-called villain's version of events.
     I did this with a one actor show I wrote entitled 'Divine Intervention.' In it Lucifer was allowed to relate what he considers to be the contrary truth of familiar scriptures. The idea came from something Joseph Campbell said to Bill Moyers during The Power of Myth  series of interviews. Mr. Campbell stated that Hell was not a place where Lucifer was sent when he was kicked out of Heaven, but rather an emotional state of being. Lucifer was the great lover of God. He had indeed been God's favorite and most beautiful angel. So when God created Man and set him above the angels, Lucifer was consumed by jealousy. He declared that the infallible God was making a mistake. Separation from his beloved was/is his Hell.
     As time passed I found more articles written by scholars and theologians who shared Campbell's view. I discovered that Lucifer made it his mission to prove to God Man's inferiority. His goal was/is to get himself back into God's favor by showing his poor opinion of human beings to be correct.
     One new idea led to other similar ideas until I felt I had to do something with what I had learned. At that point, I didn't sit down to write. Rather I began walking and listening.
      Living on the West Side of New York City gives me easy access to the Hudson River and Riverside Park on its bank. This where I spend my alone time. Watching the waves and the gracefulness of the sailboats, the steady movement of the barges mesmerizes me. This is where I heard the voice I was to give Lucifer for the play. Once he began talking I couldn't get him to stop. He had a lot to say! We would walk along the river and then I returned home and began to type. My name appears on my plays and novels, but I am actually only the typist. 
     Let's plan to meet here. You are welcome any time. Get comfortable as we explore the question of Synchronicity or Paranormal. Let me tell you a story I once heard.


No comments:

Post a Comment