Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spirits Of Comfort

     After my Grandfather crossed over, I would see him whenever I relocated or changed jobs. The first example of this occurred when I moved to Dallas and went to work at a department store. I noticed a group of people waiting their turn at the up escalator across the department from my work station. Granddad stood in the midst of them. I made my way over there as quickly as I could, but my Grandfather was already ascending. He turned to face me, smiled and waved. I saw him a few times after that. His appearances assured me that the new location or venture had been the right decision. By the same token, when he didn't appear it wasn't long before I realized I had made a mistake.
     Another spirit who pops in every once in a while is my friend Fran. She was one of my most unforgettable characters when we both lived in Dallas. Flamboyant and funny! I swear the woman invented both qualities! Before she crossed over, she took a trip to Thailand to visit a friend of hers. I received a postcard after several weeks which I have kept. She wrote, "Well, Kid, after not hearing from me for so long, I bet you think I've taken the deep six. I want you to know I'm still here." I can be cleaning or looking for a book and that postcard will fall to the floor. It's her way of reminding me she is still here. Her main role in my life has been to advise me away from wooing men who aren't "on the up and up."
     Now let me tell you a story I once heard. The last time I saw my father, he told me he wouldn't be there the next time I went home for a visit. He had a heart condition and had told me this on several occasions, as I reminded him. He countered that this time he knew for certain his time to cross over was coming. His mother who passed when I was a child, had been visiting him at night. "She sits on the edge of the bed and holds my hand. I think she is coming to get me." I was in New York, but I am told Dad had a peaceful crossing.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment