Monday, July 8, 2013

Playing With Synchronicity

     Sometimes I hate crowds. Especially when I am standing at a crosswalk waiting for the light to change. Often people will stand too close or even step right in front of me. I've learned  a good way to get them to back off using their own perception of synchronicity.
     The traffic lights in New York now flash the number of seconds a pedestrian has left to safely walk the street. I watch the countdown for the cross traffic. When the light is just about to time out, I point indiscreetly discreetly at the signal I am facing and stage whisper, "Change, please." I have a green light almost immediately. The people standing too close to me invariably step away clearing my path. 
     I simply smile and walk forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment