Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Jokes and One-Eyed Jacks Chapter 5

(Gentle Readers, keep in mind this is a raw, unedited first draft. Please comment on the storyline. Thank you!)


     Playing a friendly game of Bourre can be fun and relaxing, or it can push an anxious person right over the edge. Such was the case for Ursula as she waited with her friends in her Madison Street home for word for her nephew about Suzette. She couldn’t concentrate on her cards. However, when Gigi took yet another trick making two over her bid, Ursula snapped.
“Goddamit, Gigi! That’s your fourth trick!”
“Yes, so? I’m winning aren’t I, Ursula?”
“It means you underbid your game,” Ursula nearly shouted at her and slammed her folded hand down on the table. “I swear I’m going to jump right out of my skin if CJ doesn’t show up or call soon! I’m sorry, Gigi. I don’t mean to take it out on you. I know all this is just as hard on you.”
“It’s all right, sister Woman. My mind isn’t on the game, either. I can’t imagine what is taking him so long.”
“I can imagine!” Ursula declared. “It’s what I can imagine that has me so upset.”
“I feel all sixes and sevens, Ursula. I can’t get the message of the Ouija board out of my head,” Charles joined in. 
“Thank you for bringing up that damn board game, Charles. Do you always bring kerosene to a fire?” Ursula sniped.
Charles and Gigi didn’t utter another word. They didn’t even blink for fear of upsetting Ursula anymore than the two of them had already.
After a painfully long lapse in the conversation, Ursula forced a smile. “I’m sorry, Charles. I must apologize to both of you. We were all friends with Suzette. I know you’re every bit as worried as I am. I shouldn’t speak to you that way.”
“It’s perfectly understandable, my dear,” Charles consoled. “Like you said, we all love Suzette. We’re letting our imaginations get the better of us. We don’t even know anything bad has happened.”
Suzette rose and put an arm around Ursula. “I tell you what, why don’t I go into the kitchen and brew us a nice pot of chamomile tea?”
“I think that would be perfect,” Charles responded. “See if there’s some of those  lemon snaps I’m so fond of while you’re there.”
“Good idea. Gigi, you’ll find a tin of them in the same cupboard as the tea. Put the cookies out on a plate and we’ll all have some, if you don’t mind, Gigi.”
“Not at all, Ursula. I’ll go put the kettle on.”
As she joined Charles on the sofa, Ursula pulled his arm around her tight. “I’m so glad I have you and Gigi here with me. I’d be a real mess if —” The sound of her front gate opening and closing followed by the opening of the front door. “CJ? Is that you? She called out.
“It is, Aunt,” CJ answered as he appeared in the doorway. “I’m afraid I couldn’t find Suzette, Aunt. She wasn’t at the hotel lounge. No one we know had seen her. I drove over to her apartment, but she wasn’t home either. I’ve been driving around all this time, up and down streets and alleys looking for any sign of her.”
Gigi return, not having heard CJ come in. One look at Ursula’s face told her whatever the news was, it wasn’t what they had hoped. “CJ, I am so glad you’re back. I need something in the kitchen that I can’t reach. Would you be a doll and reach it down for me?”
“Are you all right, Aunt?” he asked before leaving the room.
“Of course. Go see what Gigi needs. She either wants to tell you about what blasted Ouija board said after you left, or else she can’t reach the cookie tin. Either way Charles and I aren’t going anywhere.”
Once they were in the kitchen, Gigi grabbed CJ’s arm. “I swear to God that woman’s a psychic! After you left to look for Suzette the Ouija board spelled out a second word.” Suzette's lower lip trembled causing her to pause a moment for composure’s sake. CJ, the reason Ursula is so upset, the reason we are all of us so distraught is that the second word was got was d-e-a-d. The Ouija board said Suzette is dead.” 
Gigi lost her struggle against her tears. CJ took her in his arms. “I wish I had known. I would have gone straight to the police.”
“And told them what exactly, CJ? That you were playing with a Ouija board with your aunt and her friends and we were told a friends of ours is dead? They would have most likely shown you to one of their guest accommodations to sober up.”
“I suppose you’re right, of course, but still —”
“There’s nothing you could have done. There’s nothing any of us can do except to have some tea and a cookie and hope she turns up,” gigi said as she poured hot water into the pot with the herbs. “I’m going to let you carry in this tray with the tea things. I’ll be right there as soon as I find your aunt’s strainer.”
“I think she keeps it in that small drawer there to the right, Gigi. You mentioned cookies but there are none on this tray.”
“I’ll get them and follow you in. Go on now. Since you’re the calmest of us all, it might be a good idea for you to be mother, CJ. We don’t need for anyone to get scalded from a shaking teapot.”
CJ had just handed Charles his teacup and saucer when there came a knock at the front door. Before anyone else could respond Charles moved to block Ursula’s path. “Sit, sit, sit, my dear. I’ll see who’s come calling at this hour and send whoever it is away.”
“But it’s probably —”
The appearance of her brother standing with Charles at the entrance to the parlor surprised Ursula into silence. 
“Good evening, Sister Woman,” the uniformed officer said as he took both of her hands in his and kissed her on the cheek. 
“Always a treat to see my baby brother, though the uniform seems ominous tonight. Please come in and rest yourself, Robbie. You know everyone here. Tea?
“No thanks, Sister. Ev’nin’  everyone. I can’t stay long.”
“Just as well, Dad,” CJ offered. “We’re all at loose ends over Suzette. No one has seen or heard from her since she called Aunt earlier this evening inviting her to go out with her.”
“Actually, that’s why I stopped by. I heard something about Suzette over the radio —well, I thought it would be better if you heard it from me.”
“She’s been found, Robbie? Is she all right? Did someone drive her home?” Ursula fired off questions to postpone the truth that she knew in her heart would be told.
“Ursula, Sister, let’s sit down.” He realized at that moment she had not let go of his hands she he entered the room. “I’m afraid I have some bad news.”
“Oh, no!” Gigi waled. “What’s happened to her?”
“Suzette’s body was found. About an hour ago.”
“Where? Where was she found?” Gigi cried.
“On the steps of St, Louis Cathedral. She was wearing high heels; one was broken. It appears the broken heel caused her to loose her balance. She fell and hit her head is what I heard on the radio. I’m so sorry. I know you all were great friends.”
“Robbie, none of that makes a bit of sense. When Suzette phoned this evening, she was intent on going to the Monteleone  for cocktails. She mentioned nothing about going to church. Besides that the cathedral isn’t even on the way to the Monteleone.”
“Maybe she changed her mind,” Robbie suggested.
“Are we talking about Suzette here> We all know that in a toss up between church and cocktails which she’d choose. So, no I don’t believe she changed her mind. Another thing, Robbie, her bunions had forced her to give up high heels long ago. There’s no way she put on a pair of high heels to climb those cathedral steps . Something’s wrong with this picture. Something is very wrong. I want to see her, Robbie. Can I see her, Robbie?”
“Let’s let the medical examiner finish his job tonight. I’ll arrange for you to see her in the morning. In the meantime, why don’t all try to get some rest. There’s nothing more to be done for her tonight.”
Robbie and Ursula kissed and hugged good-bye. CJ walked his father to the door. 
“Why don’t you stay here tonight, Son. Make sure she’s okay. I’ll call in the morning and then you can drive her to the morgue.”
“Sure, Dad. I’m glad it was you who delivered the news. I think it helped some.”
“CJ, there something you should know about Suzette that I couldn’t bring myself to tell Ursula.”
“What could possibly be worse than reporting Suzette’s death, Dad?”
“The way she was found.”
“You said she fell on the cathedral steps.”
“She was placed there to make it look like a fall, Son. Suzette’s blood had been drained out of her. Every drop. There was none on the steps.”
“Oh my, God! Dad?”
“Get some sleep, CJ. We’ll know more in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment