Friday, October 11, 2013

Not So Glee-ful This Time

     I wasn't going to watch Glee's farewell to Finn last night. But I did. Just like any other memorial it was good to see old friends like Mercedes, Puckerman, Tina and Santana. However, I also found myself as I do at any memorial I attend taking role of those who were missing. Quinn, the original cheerleader girlfriend Finn had planned to marry after graduation, and Brittany stood out as absentees. Sure, I know actors have other projects after they have left a television series but still.
     Still those who attended can't help but notice those who didn't. I was reminded of a girl who died of cancer the summer between fifth and sixth grades. Not many teachers and students were there. I was. I knew who wasn't there who should have been. I especially noticed the absence of a particular nun who was impatient and mean to the girl. She should have been there. She should have said she was sorry.
     This last May I attended the memorial for a man who had been a good friend to me. He was a man with a long list of friends. I met many of them at parties my friend hosted. Of this group, I was one of three.
     Admittedly there have been funerals and memorials I have missed. My excuse was distance and financial. Still, I'm sure I have been judged as I have judged others. I know sometimes absence can't be helped. I also realize that each of us deals with grief in our own ways. We celebrate and remember our loved ones uniquely as well. 
     Funny how a television show brought all these thought and feelings forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment