Monday, August 5, 2013

The Once And Future Past

     The Past reigns supreme. The moment we begin to think, the idea becomes something we thought. We were born in the past, move to the present, and grow into the future. There is a theory in physics that says there is exists an anti-us, as in anti-matter. This version of us is born in the future, progresses into the present moment and proceeds to the past. Consider the character of Merlin, the wizard who instructed the young boy called Wart, who was to become King Arthur. Merlin was said to have been born old and grew younger. His wisdom came from his life experience in the future. His wizardry was his ability to use this experience in the present moment. 
     In this light, I wonder if our eureka moments, those so-called flashes of inspiration aren't actually the result of our future selves getting a message through to our present selves. How often have we lamented if only I knew then what I know now! In the silence of our contemplation, we hear our own voice.
     This is how I write stories. I hear a voice telling me them and I type them on my computer. I don't know the twists and turns or even how the story ends until the voice who is the storyteller gets to that part. He relates a story that has already been written. So, my books already exist in the future. I am simply working toward that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment