Sunday, December 22, 2013

Merry Christmas, Doris Day! Part Five/ Finale

     Music infiltrated his reverie. Lightly at first, it crescendoed before trailing off again. Jason thought it much have been from a car passing his apartment building. Que sera, sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera. Funny that someone was playing his Grandmother's favorite song as he was remembering her. Another voice now picked up the refrain. His voice!
     "Stop it!" Jason shouted.
     "That's no way to begin Christmas, Jason. Merry Christmas, Sweetheart."
     "Go away. I told you already. I'm not doing Christmas this year. Depart from me, you demon!"
    He just laughed. "Depart from me you demon? You're watching too much grade B television. Besides, I'm not a demon. I'm...well, I used to be your lover. You pine away here missing me then when I come to you and try to show you something nice all you can say is Depart from me, you demon? Really, Jason! You're more clever than that," Sammy couldn't stop laughing.
     "So what's up with you, Sammy? All those memories of my Grandmother, that was your doing?"
   "Didn't you listen to your Grandmother? She told you on her deathbed sometimes you can't heal. Sometimes you job is to help the soul continue its journey."
     "Yeah, I remember. That has nothing to do with what you did. My Grandmother asked me to hold her hand. You asked me to leave the room. Not the same thing, Sam! Not the same thing at all."
     "Sweetheart, I could hear you affirming, chanting, praying to whoever you thought might listen and do your bidding. You were not letting me go. You were doing everything you could think of to block me. Do you think that I as a man who loves you wanted to leave you? No. Absolutely not! My soul had other plans. God or the Goddess, whoever, had other plans. We came together for a reason, but we had fulfilled that purpose. It was time for me to leave. Don't you get that? Jason?"
     Jason just continued gazing out the window. His jaw was clenched. He didn't answer because he couldn't without losing control over his emotions. A feeling of warmth spread across his shoulders. 
     "Jason, you even tossed away your ring."
     "I didn't want it anymore. Don't worry about it."
     "I'm not worried. I just think you should get it back. It symbolized something, didn't it? Wasn't there an inscription of some kind? T2SP or something like that? You never told me what it means."
     "Why don't you just leave me in peace?"
    "Fine, Jason. Apparently you're not as susceptible to spirits as old Mr. Scrooge. Merry Christmas, Jason."
     Jason never flinched. He remained stalwart at the window. "How do I know you're really gone?" he finally asked the air. 
     The doorbell rang. "Funny, Sammy! So now I'm supposed to think you got your angel wings?"
     Jason walked over to the door and opened it. He was surprised to find the Christmas tree guy. "Look man, I can't keep you ring. It looks special," he explained as he presented the object. "Interesting engraving. What's it mean?"
     Jason accepted the ring and slipped it on his finger. "T2SP? It's a reminder this too shall pass. Thank you for bringing it. Would you like to come in? I could make some coffee."
     "That's nice. Thanks. The young man hesitated before crossing the threshold. "I brought you something else. I hope you don't mind."
     Jason turned to face the man and was surprised a second time. "I'm closing up shop since everybody's got a tree already. I thought you might like this one. He's a good tree. Maybe you'd give him a home for a few days?"
     "It's perfect! Yes, bring it in. We can place him in the corner there next to the window." Jason moved a chair and a cigarette table to make room. You'll find a stand and decorations in the hall closet, if you don't mind. I want to get the coffee started. By the way, my name's Jason. What's yours?"
     "Phineus. Now let's get going on this tree, whaddaya say?"
     "Coffee won't take long. Get started and I'll be right back."
    Phineus found the stand and put the tree into it. Next he started stringing the lights. Humming softly to himself as he did so. Jason returned just as Phineus came to the end of his song. The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera.
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment