Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Trade Anything

The yellow ball of the afternoon sun was camouflaged with high floating helium balloon clusters that outlined the backyard. Daphne had been looking forward to her friend Lisa’s birthday party all week. Lisa’s mom Catherine greeted Daphne and her dad Max at the front door and led them through the house to the party in progress. Daphne was wide-eyed at all the bright colored balloons and the picnic table loaded with Lisa’s presents, party hats, and cupcakes.
When Lisa spotted Daphne, she ran up to her friend to welcome her and introduce her to some of the girls Daphne didn’t know. “Thanks for coming to my party, Daphne,” she said. “Is that present for me?”
“I hope you like it,” Daphne said as she handed over the package wrapped in dancing unicorns and rainbows.
“Thanks. I’ll put it on the table and we can play with the other girls.”
Before running off with Lisa, Daphne turned to her father. “Thank you for bringing me, Dad. See ya later!”
“Have a good time, sweetheart.”
“I think the girls will have fun, Max. I’ll keep an eye on them. You have nothing to worry about.”
“I know, Catherine. This will be good for her. Daphne has kept to herself quite a bit since her mother, well, you know.”
Catherine smiled and touched Max’s arm. “It must be tough on a little girl. She’ll be fine here. I’ll make sure she has a fun time. We’re planning on opening gifts and having cupcakes and ice cream around four. I think the girls will be ready to go home by four thirty. Either I or one of the other mothers can drive Daphne home, if you like.”
“I can't think of putting you out like that, Catherine. I’ll be here for Daphne at four thirty.”
Max’s voice said he was leaving, but his feet didn't move. Catherine took his arm to lead him away. “You better get going before you get roped into playing a game. Don’t worry. Daphne is fine.”
“You’re right, of course. I seldom get time to be alone these days. I’ll see you at four thirty.” He paused to watch Daphne playing for just a minute more and then walked with Catherine through the gate on the side of the house. As she opened the gate for Max she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
“See you at four thirty,” she repeated.
Max got into his car and drove the few blocks to his house. When he pulled into the driveway he noticed the draperies in the living room were closed. I could have sworn I opened the drapes before we left for school this morning, he thought to himself. Then again, Daphne ran late getting ready so they left in a bit of a rush.
He unlocked the front door and walked in. He removed his sport coat and placed it on the back of a chair as he went to the TV room to relax. He never had time for an afternoon nap recently since there was always something to do to take care of the house or Daphne after work. Not that he minded. Max loved his little girl more than anything. With his wife away, he was playing dual parenting roles as well as handy man.
He sat down in his recliner and pulled the side lever to raise his feet and lower his back. Just as he started to relax into sleep a familiar fragrance startled him awake and into the upright position for springing to his feet. Evening In Paris. His wife’s favorite perfume wafted in from the hall. Rebecca couldn’t be in the house. That wasn’t possible.
The judge remanded her to an upstate psychiatric hospital instead of prison for attempted murder. Max’s beloved Rebecca had tried to stab him to death while he slept. Fortunately all but two of her strikes had missed their mark. Max managed with some effort to loosen his wife's grip and hurl the kitchen knife across the room. He had grabbed hold of Rebecca’s wrists by the time the police arrived in response to the neighbors' 911 call to report a woman shrieking like a banshee at one in the morning.
“You think I don’t know about you and that whore? Everyone in the neighborhood knows about you and her charity work! With a husband like hers I can’t for the life of me figure what she wants with a ball-less wonder like you! I’ll be a widow before I’ll be a divorcee!”
The police busted the door to get in and mistakenly ordered Max take his hands off the woman, believing she was being attacked. Once free, Rebecca lunged for the knife and screamed “You’re going to die, Max!”
The police quickly corrected their mistake by grabbing Rebecca, handcuffing her and putting her in the back of the squad car. One of the officers who returned to check on Max noticed that Max was bleeding and radioed for an ambulance.
All the screaming and sirens woke Daphne. Max saw the child trembling in the hallway.  Even a tourniquet couldn’t keep him from rushing to his daughter to hug her, kiss her and say, “Everything’s all right, Daphne. Mommy has to go to the hospital, but Daddy’s here.”
Mrs. Danvers from next door appeared and said Daphne could spend the night at her house if she wanted to.
“Would you like that, Daphne? Would you like to stay with Mrs. Danvers tonight?”
“Why can’t I stay here with you, Daddy?”
“Sweetheart, Daddy has to see a doctor and get his arm bandaged. It might take a while and I don’t want you to miss out on your dreams. Mrs. Danvers has a nice bed waiting for you.”
“Let’s go and get some school clothes for tomorrow, Daphne. Then we’ll go to my house and have some milk and perhaps a cookie. Would you like that?”
The girl nodded yes and reached for Mrs. Danvers’s hand.
“We’ll get her clothes and be on our way, Max. Daphne will be fine with me. Do you need anything yourself?”
“No, thanks, Mrs. D. I’m in good hands. Sorry for the disturbance.”
“Think nothing of it. This wasn’t your doing. Everyone knows that. I’ll help Daphne get her things and we’ll be on our way.”
Now Max followed the scent until he came face to face with the woman who tried to kill him.
“What’s the matter, Max? Cat got your tongue? It’s good to see you, too, darling. Where’s my little girl? Where’s Daphne?”
“She's not here.”
“You always had a knack for stating the obvious. I know she’s not here. I’ve searched the house. So where is she? I want to see my daughter!”
“That's not going to happen, Rebecca. How did you get out? How did you get here?”
“Don’t you worry your little brain, my pet. That doctor knew what he was doing when he offered to tune up the motor after Daphne tore me up. Leave to your offspring to try to walk out of the womb. That man’s genius makes men want to do what I say. I mean real men. Present company excluded. My pussy never had much effect on you. So what’s the attraction for that whore?” An idea occurred to Rebecca that struck her funny. “Or is it her? Maybe that stud she’s married to that gets you going, is that it? Do the three of you do it together or does she watch?” Rebecca laughs a hearty laugh at the sight of the threesome together. “That’s it, isn’t it? Really darling if you wanted a dick up your ass you should have said so. I would have strapped one on for you.”
“You don’t have the power to goad me anymore. You just have commitment papers. The police will be here shortly. I’d leave if I were you.”
There was a knock at the door. A man shouted, “Mr. Winters? Are you in there?”
“You sonofabitch! I should have killed you when I had the chance.”
“Keep talking, my dear. I hit 911 on my cellphone when I first smelled your perfume. The police have heard every word you said. Excuse me. I need to get the door.”
Once again, the police handcuffed Mrs. Winters and deposited her in the backseat of the squad car. This time she held her head down and remained silent. She let her eyes say it all.
Max tired not to smile. Rebecca’s little scene practically guaranteed his plan was going to work perfectly.


No comments:

Post a Comment