Thursday, December 26, 2013

Trade Anything Part 2

The patrol car turned the corner at the end of the block, and Max started to go inside. There was a lilt in his step that hadn’t been there earlier.
“Max!” someone shouted.
He saw Mrs. Danvers walking toward him across the lawn. “Hello, Mrs. Danvers,” he said with a smile and a wave.
When his neighbor was within range of being able to speak in a confidential tone Mrs. Danvers asked, “Was that Mrs. Winters I saw in that police car?”
“Yes, that was my wife. She decided to take a break from therapy to visit Daphne.”
“She hasn’t been released has she?”
“No, her little outing came as a surprise to everyone. She’s on her way back where she belongs now, Mrs. Danvers. There’s no need to worry.”
“Where is Daphne, by the way, Mr. Winters?”
‘She’s safe. She’s at her friend Lisa’s birthday party. I’ll bring her home around four thirty.”
“If you don’t mind my saying so, Mr. Winters, you look like you could do with a nap. Why don’t you take it easy and I’ll bring the child home.”
“That’s kind of you, Mrs. Danvers, but I don’t want to put you out. Catherine, that’s Lisa’s mother as you may know, had also offered to drive her home after the party, but I’m happy to get her.”
‘Nonsense, Mr. Winters. What are neighbors for? You go inside and I’ll fetch Daphne for you. I was going to do some marketing anyway. Catherine’s will be on my way home. It’s no trouble at all.”
“Okay. You win, Mrs. Danvers. I am a little tired. I’m going to take advantage of your offer and the chance for forty winks. I’ll see you later on. Thanks, again.”
Max didn’t think he had been asleep for very long when he was awakened by the doorbell. Whoever was at the door was pressing the doorbell button like it was it was his job. “I’m coming. I’m coming!” He called out as he walked toward the door.
He opened the door to a frantic Mrs. Danvers. “Mr. Winters, oh, Mr. Winters!” the woman was visibly shaken. “I don’t know how to tell you―.”
“Tell me what, Mrs. Danvers? Come inside and tell me what has you so upset.” As he stepped aside to allow her entry, Max looked past her toward her car looking for his daughter. “Where’s Daphne?”
“That’s what I’m trying to tell you.”
“What’s happened? Tell me, Mrs. Danvers, where’s Daphne? Where’s my little girl?”
“When I arrived at Catherine’s, there was no sign of anyone at home. No one answered the front door. I went around to the side gate and the back yard was empty.”
“All the other girls had gone home? What about Catherine and Lisa? Surely they were there, right?”
“Mr. Winters, there was no sign of anyone. No trace of anything to say a birthday party had been there. Nothing. The backyard didn’t look like any children had ever been there at all!”
“That can’t be, Mrs. Danvers! Where would they have gone?”
“I don’t know, Mr. Winters. That’s why I came straight back here.”
“Let’s drive over there and take a look around. If Catherine isn’t home, maybe one of the neighbors saw something. We have to find them!”
“Maybe we should call the police.”
“No, let’s not just yet. I’m going over there for another look. You’re welcome to come with me if you like. I certainly understand if you’d rather not.”
“This has all been such a shock, Mr. Winters. I think I need to go home and sit down with a cup of tea. I’m telling you there was not a soul anywhere around that house. My advice is to call the police.”
“I’m so sorry your kindness is repaid with upset, Mrs. Danvers. You go on and calm yourself. I’m going to drive over there. I’m sure there’s an explanation. There’s no need to involve the police just yet. Besides, if I know my wife, Rebecca is giving the police their fill of my family as we speak. I’ll walk you to your door.”
“Will you call me when you return, Mr. Winters? I’ll be anxious to know the little girl is home safe and sound.”
“Of course, Mrs. Danvers, I will call you. Better yet, Daphne will call you herself.”
The older woman let herself inside her house and closed her door. As Max backed out of his driveway, he spotted Mrs. Danvers watching him through her picture window. When the car was out of sight, Mrs. Danvers removed her little notepad from her purse. She opened it as she picked up the receiver of her phone and tapped the number she had written down.
When the person on the other end of the line answered, Mrs. Danvers said, “He’s on his way,” and hung up. She then went to her kitchen to put water on the boil for her tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment