Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sometimes I Kill Myself /2

Buster never wants to go out in bad weather.  Buster is a Jack Russel terrier, my best friend and pain in the butt. Wind stirring out of the west means that Buster would just as soon hold his bladder until morning as to go out into a storm that hasn’t even hit yet. This was such a night.
“C’mon, Buster. We won’t be long. Just a short walk and then we’ll both sleep better.” I made a big show of putting a few of his favorite treats in my jacket pocket. Buster was not falling for it. In desperation I pried him from his usual hiding place behind the sofa and carried him outdoors. Something stirred in the shrubbery at the far end of the back yard and he was off like a shot.
“Hey, Buster!” I shouted. “Wait for me.” I raced around to the gate at the end of the hedge and followed the barking into the adjacent city park. When I caught up, Buster had assumed his pre-attack stance and growling from his throat. His tail was straight out signaling trouble.
“There you are boy,” I said. “What have you found.”
A young man with his pants down around his ankles had hold of a little girl, a five year old I think, and was trying to molest her. Everything happened so fast. Buster is sensitive to shrill noises, so the little girl’s cries and screams set him off. He charged forward. The dog grabbed and pulled first at the man’s jeans before chomping into one of his exposed calves. I grabbed the man by the shoulders to pull him off the little girl. He swung around, slammed into a large tree and knocked himself unconscious. Buster stood guard over him while I tried to calm the girl.
“You’re safe now, sweetheart. That man won’t hurt you anymore.”
“I want my mommy,” she cried.
“I’m calling the police. Someone will come to get you and take you home. What’s you name so I can tell the police to tell your parents you’re safe now.”
I had my cellphone in hand and the dispatcher had just answered when I was hit from behind. The attacker had come to and struck me across the back of the head, propelling me forward. As I hit the ground, I heard the man shrieking in pain. Buster sank his teeth into the man’s most vulnerable parts. I rose to my feet and backhanded the man into the same tree. This time I heard something crack. The way the man slumped to the ground I knew he wouldn’t get back up. Buster punctuated the situation by lifting his hind leg over the slack face on the ground and then scratching up some grass.
The little girl had stopped crying and sat wide-eyed as she watched Buster and me in action. The dispatcher heard the commotion and used my phone’s GPS to send a patrol car to our aid.
While one of the officers attended the victim, the other one checked on the dead man lying against the tree. He called an ambulance. Next he asked me my name, address and what had happened. I told him everything he wanted to know. All the while Buster sat up at his feet waiting for his turn to speak. When Buster figured he had waited long enough, he softly barked twice.
“Who’s this guy?” the office inquired as he squatted to pat Buster’s head.
“This is my pal, Buster,” I replied. “He caught this guy trying to raped the girl.”
“Well, Buster, you’re quite the hero.”
Buster barked in agreement.
The officer said Buster and I were free to go home adding, “If we have any other questions, we’ll call you tomorrow.”
That’s how the scene plays out in the dream. I wouldn’t exactly say this is a recurring dream. There is always a different victim. Oftentimes the pedophile is different, too. However, lately, the pedophile has been the same man. He’s somehow familiar to me. Maybe from the dreams, but I feel like he is someone I know. Funny the things and people we dream about. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment