Saturday, December 21, 2013

Merry Christmas, Doris Day! Part Four

     Jason managed to catch himself and regain his balance like someone who snaps to after nodding off while watching television. Woodsmoke and the fragrance of burning resins and herbs filled the room. Once his eyes adjusted to the dim light a kaleidoscope of time lapsed images of his grandmother filled his vision. She was lying on a pallet of furs and crudely woven blankets, then on a cot, finally in her bed. She was very ill so Jason was applying various oils and ointments to her forehead and body. Select stones surrounded her. Candles and bowls of herbs were strategically placed around the hut, cabin, room to aid his attempts to heal her. Everything she taught him, the rituals they had performed for countless others --none of it was having any effect now. 
     Tears trailed his cheeks. If failure was a lesson he was meant to learn, why now? Why did he have to fail with the most important person in his life? A faint, raspy whisper requested water. He brought a gourd ladle, an earthen cup, a glass of water to her lips. The touch was enough. He carefully returned her head to her pillow. 
     "Jason, why are you crying? Don't be sad, dear boy."
    "Grandmother, I've done everything for you I can think of to make you well. Nothing is working. I am failing you."
     "Nonsense! You have graduated from apprentice to master. You don't need me anymore."
      "But I do, Grandmother! I do need you!"
     "Jason, we can't always heal the body when the soul is ready to return to its home. Times like these call for release. It is enough to make the body comfortable so the soul can depart easily. Rest with me now. Sit down here and hold my hand."
     The young man did as he was told. With his free hand he wiped his eyes and nose with his sleeve.
     The old woman smiled. "You are a talented healer, Jason. You will help lots of people during the course of your life. Some will recover good health. Others will pass into the next world. Regardless of the path they follow, you will be there to help them. This last lesson is the art of letting go. The will of the goddess is all that matters now, not Jason's will." 
      "I'm sorry, Grandmother. I don't mean to block you path, but I will miss you."
     "Jason, you can always call on me when you need me. Think of me as being in the next room. I love you Jason. I always have, as your visions have shown you. Now kiss my cheek one last time and wish me a good journey. It will be better next time." 
     As he leaned over to kiss her, she closed her eyes. A white mist flowed upwards from her parted lips. His Grandmother was on her way.
     Jason was still holding her hand even though she no longer gripped his. "Good-bye, Grandmother. Thank you," he whispered to the darkness. Jason laid his head on her shoulder and cried until he was weak enough, or strong enough, to let go of Grandmother's hand.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment