Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Pick Up

“Hey, Simms, check out the guy at the end of the bar. He could be your twin!”
Simms glanced in the general direction his friend Tag indicated, but didn’t see anyone who resembled himself. “Tag, I think you’ve had too much to drink. That guy doesn’t look anything like me.”     
“Simms, I’m telling you ―where’re you goin’, man?” Tag watched as Simms sat down next to his twin. The resemblance was incredible, even side by side ―especially side by side. Tag couldn’t help but smile as he watched his friend introduce himself.
“My friend over there thinks we look alike. Sorry, but I don’t see it myself. I came over here so he could see how wrong he is. My name’s Simms, by the way,” he said as he extended his arm to shake hands. “Sorry to have bothered you.”
“No bother,” the other man said as he took Simms hand. “Take a seat. I’d like to buy you a drink.”
“That’s okay. I should get back to my friend.”
“Oh, are you two together? He can join us if he wants to. I’d like to get to know you.”
“We’re friends, not lovers if that’s what you mean. You haven’t told me your name.”
“You can actually call me Simms. Hard to believe, isn’t it?”
“Yeah, that is weird; especially since Simms is actually my last name.”
            “So, Mr. Simms, have you ever called out your own name during sex?”
            “Ah, that’s going a bit fast for me. You haven’t even bought me that cocktail you offered yet.”
“I have a feeling this choirboy look of yours is a sham. Underneath it all, you’re as bad as I am. Bartender? What are you drinking, Mr. Simms?”
“I’ll have what you’re having,” he replied with a twinkle in his eye.
“Well then, now we’re getting somewhere. Hine, please, and get me another while you’re at it.”
“What do you do? For a living, I mean?”
“I’m an actor.”
“Really? That must be interesting. What might I have seen you in?”
“Nothing, if you tend to blink. So far it’s only been some background work for television.”
“I have a part for you you might like.”
Just as the bartender placed the drinks on the bar, Tag took his friend’s elbow. “C’mon, man. We should go. It’s getting to be a little weird watching you sit here talking with your reflection in the mirror. You bested me. The joke’s over now. Let’s get you home.”
“No, that can’t be!” Simms turned sharply to face his new companion. There were two glasses, but only himself and Tag. “I can’t believe it! I finally meet someone interesting who’s interested in me and you run him off!”
“Simms, seriously, you need to get home and get to bed to sleep this off. There was no guy. It was only the mirror. I shouldn’t have pranked you when you’re drunk. Now let’s go.”
“Oh, all right. Let me just finsh this.” When Sims raised his glass there was a business card stuck to the bottom. In blue ink there was a handwritten note. “Call me.” Simms slipped it into his pocket without a word and got up to leave with Tag.


No comments:

Post a Comment