Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Vardøger, Teacher and Guide

    The Norwegian word vardøger describes the ghostly or spirit double of a person or even an animal. I use it here rather than the German word doppelgänger which describes a similar spirit likeness, but with a mischievous or malevolent predisposition.
    I often see a friend's or a relative's vardøger whenever something significant has happened to them, or else they have something they urgently want to tell me. Sometimes when I make a phone call to the person I am greeted with, "I was just thinking about you."
   More recent experiences with this phenomena centered around someone I was in love with who had left only to return and then leave again. The vardøger served as a kind of early warning signal so that I had time to plan my response.
    Animal vardøgers come to me when I need comfort or protection. In these times, spirit dogs or wolves arrive to walk with me outdoors, or to curl up with me on my bed as I sleep. Perhaps they are pets from the other dimension I live in.
    Perhaps in some other world  we play out the alternatives to choices we make here. Being open to seeing such clues, we are able to move forward in our lives without regret. Perhaps we also miss some of the pitfalls.
     
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment